Friday, September 4, 2009

So Now What?

Basically this is what is going on in my life right now.

I decided not to attend law school this year because the school I chose (due to the advice of several mentors who suggested that I attend the highest ranked school I got accepted in) refused to give me any scholarship assistance at all. They basically told me, you were good enough to accept but we don't really want you here. At least, that's the impression I got from them. It was too late to attend second choice, and The Alma Mater (1st Choice) never took me off of their waiting list (even though they let several others off) so I decided to sit this one out.

It was a difficult decision, because now I am unemployed (my job forced me out the door... I wanted my last day of working to be August 1st, but they made me stop 7/17. If they had only waited until 8/1 to hire someone, I would have gotten the letter that told me my Federal Direct Grad Plus Loans were declined.) The denial was earth-shattering at first, but I was able to appeal their loan decision. They granted my appeal, 2 days before I was supposed to go to school. I had been praying about it and seeking wise counsel, and I decided that it would be better to start law school next year when I am more financially prepared and have the possibility of receiving scholarship assistance than this year when I know that I would be taking out $51k in loans to attend a school that I ultimately didn't want to attend.

So anyway, I have this afterschool tutoring gig that starts 10/13 and I have this substitute teaching gig that starts hopefully as soon as I fax/deliver my employment paperwork and TB test results tomorrow.

It needs to start SOON. My pockets are angry at me.

I reapplied early decision to the Alma Mater's law school. When I get some money, I'll do some more applications. I decided to retake the lsat... Just for the possibility of gaining a couple of points... **sigh**. It's all a money game now. I know too many people who are going to law school practically for free. I don't want to graduate with $200k in debt if I don't have to. Second choice granted me a deferral but I'm too broke to pay the first seat deposit. I'll email the dean and let her know I'm interested but will need until late October to come up with the money. I also deferred at the school I chose not to attend this year. Just in case. I'd rather know I'm going somewhere if Alma Mater doesn't let me in this year.

So now, I guess I'm just waiting to see how things turn out.