Friday, February 13, 2009

F--- You, Pay Me

In my past, It's been said that I'm dramatic... That I'm a shyt starter. In analyzing my present, I kinda disagree. I think I'm very anti-drama. I believe that many situations that have blown out of proportion has done so because the OTHER person has issues; not me... (Though I have had my irrational moments...)

Anyway, I know that right now (and beginning sometime around ehhh, May or so), I totally do not have the patience to argue with people. Like maybe I'll engage in witty banter, or jokingly argue about insignificant things... But if it comes to something that really makes a difference in my life, I'm not going to argue.

I don't know if it's indicative of my ever-increasing maturity, or whatever, but I just feel like, if I disagree with someone about something really important, and if I'd have to go back and forth to try to get them to see things my way, I no longer care if they agree. I just won't argue with them... It's a total waste of time to me, especially when I know I'm dealing with a closed-minded individual who just REFUSES to understand my perspective anyway, and more than likely IS being dramatic and irrational, trying to get a rise out of me while looking incredibly foolish because they're the ones who are doing too much.

I see how the attorneys I work for bill at between $250 and $500 an hour. I thought this was a bit much until I analyzed it. They feel that they do valuable work and should charge accordingly. So if a client calls and they spend an hour on the phone going back and forth with the client because that client refuses to take their word as gold and let them do the job they've hired us for, then the client will just waste valuable time; and time is money.

This is the perspective I've adopted into my own life... I don't argue with anyone. I let them talk crazy, work themselves up into a tizzy, and I bow out gracefully. I've found that this pisses them off more than if I had responded. I look at it this way: though I'm not yet a successful, millionaire attorney (and though I haven't even decided which law school I'm going to attend to GET me to that point) I still consider my beliefs, opinions, and ideas of high value. I choose to exhibit patience when the other person is being irrational and just wants to pick a fight or blow off some steam. I've pissed more than a couple of people off in the past year by telling them "Argue with yourself". Because seriously, time is money, and in my mind, you REALLY can't afford the effort I would have to exert to pretend that I care about the hissy fit you're going to throw when I completely dismiss you...

Now, if you're willing to pay me a substantial hourly rate to watch and listen to you make a fool of yourself, be my guest. I take cash and PayPal. I don't trust enough to accept personal checks.

Now to keep this in mind when I have my meeting with the ex-bff tomorrow afternoon at 3:30... I'll let you guys know if she's still lying...

No comments:

Post a Comment